ImageGreetings! Welcome to Tezzaworld website, unfortunately you are a few years late to the show as nearly everyone has been and gone, there is still lots of useful archived material to read through, not many active users unfortunately, but that’s the way it goes, hopefully you are not too disappointed...

Weird speed sensor related issue...

Any problems with your Altezza, post questions here
SH-farenheit
Noob!

Weird speed sensor related issue...

Postby SH-farenheit » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:18 am

Hello guys !

As I've said in my newbie post, I'm currently finishing a beams manual swapped is300. The car was originally an automatic, but the engine and gearbox conversion wasn't made by me, but a close friend. Now, the car has had some weird issues from the start : misfires, hesitation under full throttle and rough idle. I tried everything : coilpacks, spark plugs, vvti solenoids... Everything turned out fine but the misfires were still there.

One day, I realized the car only had such symptoms while driving. At a full stop, no misfires, no hesitation whatsoever. So I took the speed sensor out, and the car ran perfectly fine : no more hesitation, she had her full power, and went through the RPM like a rocket : Proper beams 3SGE performance, finally !

So now, i'm stuck with a perfectly working car, but no speedo whatsoever, and knowing that a sensor is missing kinda puts me off. What do you guys think would be the issue here ? A faulty sensor ? A damaged ECU wire ? or even a wrong pinout ?

I'm kinda stuck here and have gotten to my limits on this car's knowledge, so your help would be greatly, greatly appreciated !

Cheers to you all, have the best of days :)

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Re: Weird speed sensor related issue...

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Mon May 20, 2019 4:41 pm

Hmmmm, that is very odd! Are the replacement sensors cheap and worth a gamble first?

Tripp
Noob!

Re: Weird speed sensor related issue...

Postby Tripp » Wed May 22, 2019 12:19 pm

I believe the Altezza uses a different protocol to other platforms... might be Toyota specific or Altezza specific, but you'll read about how engine swaps with the Tez don't play ball with our instrument cluster. It may be that theres a mismatch of data going through the ECU to what it expects which might be causing it to throw a wobbly. Also worth checking grounding of the speed sensor and related components

Return to “Problems with your Altezza”