ImageGreetings! Welcome to Tezzaworld website, unfortunately you are a few years late to the show as nearly everyone has been and gone, there is still lots of useful archived material to read through, not many active users unfortunately, but that’s the way it goes, hopefully you are not too disappointed...

Low oil pressure reading when engine is warm

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
Steve86
Tezza Fanatic!

Low oil pressure reading when engine is warm

Postby Steve86 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:08 pm

Hi Tezzaworld, Im having problem with my 2002 3SGE motor. The oil pressure goes down to the last bar when the engine warms up, but upon starting when its cold, the pressure level reading is normal, and responds well for about 5km drive then it starts to drop. Oil level is ok from the dip stick and the car is driving well, no strange noises coming out from the engine. I was running 5w40 and have changed to a thicker oil 20w50 thinking it will solve anything but no change. What could be the issue?
I'm in the White House

tommysheen
Trc Off

Re: Low oil pressure reading when engine is warm

Postby tommysheen » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:26 pm

Probably worth doing your oil pump and if you haven’t then just do the timing belt water pump and tensioners at the same time.

Steve86
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Steve86 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:33 am

Thank you Tommysheen. Before suspecting the oil pump, I am thinking to check on the oil strainer today and see if its not being blocked by sludge, since I noticed this after my first service as I just imported the car from Japan in January. I will let you know of the results.
I'm in the White House

Steve86
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Steve86 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi Guys. Managed to remove the oil sump and cleaned the oil screen, also checked the oil sender unit but no joy. Im now convinced its the oil pump thats on its way out...will have to look for it and replace, will post the result once its done..
I'm in the White House

tommysheen
Trc Off

Postby tommysheen » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:42 pm

Buy genuine from Toyota with the timing kit and water pump and let us know if it sorts it. Nothing worse than unfinished threads which are no help to anyone ha. Hope it works out for ya

Steve86
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby Steve86 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:57 am

Hi Guys. I managed to solve the problem. It was simply a faulty oil pressure sensor, the one which is located just besides the oil filter. I changed it yesterday and everything is now perfect, gauge now working as it should. Super excited.
I'm in the White House

tommysheen
Trc Off

Postby tommysheen » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:31 pm

That’s great to hear sometimes you’d forget it’s not always a big job ha.

RS Tom-Hundred
Tezza Fanatic!

Postby RS Tom-Hundred » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:14 am

Nice one :) Glad you sorted it :)

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”