Image Please bare with us while we are carrying out some much needed maintenance to the forum. New look coming soon!

which air fuel controller is best?

Post info/questions on engine mods and issues here
Mr. Tezza
Kerry Rep

which air fuel controller is best?

Postby Mr. Tezza » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:59 pm

hey folks,

i'm pretty convinced my car isn't running at its best and i was looking around at air fuel controllers but i dunno which ywould best suit an altezza? a camcom or Apexi AFC or what? does anybody else have one of these or something else?
Kerry Rep

roundymoony
Altezza Guru

Re: which air fuel controller is best?

Postby roundymoony » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:45 pm

I have an Apexi safc2.I find it very good. :D

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:09 pm

Camcons were all the talk a few years ago, but good luck finding someone to properly install it...

whats your mechanic say? is it running rich? could be your lambda or maf ? I'd try and get the original parts checked out before buying parts especially if your selling.... just my two cents :)

Alex-evita
Altezza Guru

Postby Alex-evita » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:17 pm

sorry guys but what afc really do?and why car need it?factory ECU not good enough?
do it once and do it right !!!

Mr. Tezza
Kerry Rep

Postby Mr. Tezza » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:35 pm

roundymoony wrote:I have an Apexi safc2.I find it very good. :D

what kinda money would you be talking for one of them?

Noel wrote:Camcons were all the talk a few years ago, but good luck finding someone to properly install it...

whats your mechanic say? is it running rich? could be your lambda or maf ? I'd try and get the original parts checked out before buying parts especially if your selling.... just my two cents :)

well what i was told ( 3 years ago) was if ur gonna go intake and exhaust mods you should adjust your air/fuel to compensate or you cud be running rich and lose power as a result...

in too minds really, i'd like to sell the car and buy something 2 litre turbo but at the same time i love my tezza!!! :lol:
Kerry Rep

E910
Altezza Guru

Postby E910 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:13 am

Alex-evita wrote:sorry guys but what afc really do?and why car need it?factory ECU not good enough?

The factory tune is always very conservative. This protects the engine if low octane fuel is put in it. It also ensures it's reliable, fuel efficient, meets emission standards & doesn't wear prematurely.
With an AFC you can squeeze a few extra HP out of an engine by tricking the factory ECU into putting more or less fuel into the engine.
Only problem with using one of these on an Altezza 3SGE is they have closed loop type ECU which will gradually over ride any piggy back AFC. The only way around this is to reset your factory ECU on a regular basis.
A replacement ECU like the Apexi Power FC would be the ideal way to go.

Here's a bit of research I did into piggy pack AFC a while back http://z4.invisionfree.com/lexusaltezza ... c=6867&hl=

Moe
Trc Off

Postby Moe » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:25 pm

HKS AFR in my car.
Useless device unless you like digital displays showing your RPM.
The Toyota ECU overides the piggyback unit.

roundymoony
Altezza Guru

Postby roundymoony » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:04 pm

Mr. Tezza wrote:
roundymoony wrote:I have an Apexi safc2.I find it very good. :D

what kinda money would you be talking for one of them?

Noel wrote:Camcons were all the talk a few years ago, but good luck finding someone to properly install it...

well what i was told ( 3 years ago) was if ur gonna go intake and exhaust mods you should adjust your air/fuel to compensate or you cud be running rich and lose power as a result...

in too minds really, i'd like to sell the car and buy something 2 litre turbo but at the same time i love my tezza!!! :lol:

It has been replaced by the Apexi neo but I'm sure you could pick one up second hand for 150ish maybe less?

Mr. Tezza
Kerry Rep

Postby Mr. Tezza » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:22 am

If the toyota ecu is just going to override it eventually is there any point? i was tol that having an air intake and an exhaust i really shud get an air furl controller cos with those in the car the mix ain't right? but if the toyota ecu has this "learning" capability shud it not adjust itself to the mods?
Kerry Rep

Return to “Engine & Transmission section”